Thursday, January 28, 2010

MAD MEN

            The first new dress that I made for my Etsy shop is inspired by the hit show "Mad Men"





The clothes  for this show are so detailed and period specific. This show is really responsible for changing the way many women look at work clothes. There has been a huge return to "dressing" for work. Following on this trend I wanted to create something to pay homage to the beautiful costumes created by Janie Bryant.  Within my extensive pattern collection I have found a number of dresses that remind me of these clothes. So here is the first one I have created:

  

It is a tan cotton stretch, with a faint teal stripe.  I accented this with a great teal linen I found at a store here in the fashion district. The dress itself is a beautiful high waisted pencil skirt with a short sleeve louse on top, gathered over the bust and a deep keyhole  opening tied by a large bow. the back of the skirt has a hidden
kick pleat. For whatever reason the kick pleat was the hardest decision for me to make.
          My initial idea was to use the teal linen for this, as a splash of color when you walk.  But after I did this I was a little concerned it was to "costume" and not real enough. But my partner Richard convinced me the detail was cute and since the fabric was dark it would be a good way to brighten it. So I stuck with my plan and think it turned out rather cute!

     This is the first dress I made for my etsy shop, and hope that it is a good way to kick things off!

No comments:

Post a Comment