Friday, September 25, 2009

Mermaid Parade


All my life i have had an affinity for mermaids. So it is no reason my bestie is also a HUGE mermaid fan, to the point she has a full back tattoo of one.
Well every year in at Coney Island NY, they kick off the summer beach season with the Mermaid Parade (http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml for more information).
This year she decided we needed to go, and we both started working on our respective costumes from home - her in MN and I in Brooklyn.

I set out to find the perfect fabric = i wanted something kind of unusual but would convey scales. A few months ago i found a great snake skin printed cotton and thought that would be fun. along the way I came across a snake sin vinyl which was even better! it has a greenish grey hue to it and looked very masculine, which was perfect for the look I wanted.

The tail i made in a fitted trumpet style, with a HUGE train in the back, this I planned on dragging behind me so I would have a tail. I connected the skirt to a Y- back suspender of the same material, and then created a dorsal fin to ride up the back Y, and into the CB seam. I love how it turned out!


Heather is responsible for the beautiful crown, and i made the gauntlets of the same material. We had a lot of people taking pics of us, and got many compliments on both our tails! To see hers go to www.heathereve.blogspot.com



1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan!
    Great Blog...Erin got me to do one...Check it out!
    Love,
    Nettie XOXO

    ReplyDelete