Friday, November 13, 2009

1950's Day Dress



I have been kicking around the fabric for awhile now. It is left over from a production of The Music Man i did many years ago and had bought to much of it. finally knew what I had to do with it when i cam across the patter for a beautiful 1954 day dress.

It is a rayon burnout of swirls, that I layed over white bridal satin. I played with other colors, but thought the white made it pop the most. The dress featured doleman sleeves, with a contrasting cuff. The skirt is the best part however, it has a slim fitting top with a circle bottom flounce. I just know my teacher would have been proud of this - i felled the seams and everything to keep the overlayer from fraying.

The satin collar and cuff i embroidered with a simple stitch on my new machine. . The back of the dress is a great detail: a series of matching buttons that run the length of the back. it really adds a nice period detail i think.

With enough materials left over, I will most likely be making more from this fabric. but we shall see! I am setting up a shop on Etsy.com where i am going to make dresses out of all these great patterns I have and sell them! This dress like the others has been donated to the TDF Costume Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment